Firecracker Cupcakes in a Jar Recipe(yields 10-12 cupcakes)
Ingredients:1 box white cake mix
1 bottle red food coloring
1 bottle blue food coloring
2 containers of white/vanilla frosting
10 to 12 small jars with lids, washed and dried
Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Prepare the cake batter per package directions. Once mixed, separate the batter into two separate bowls, trying to get equal amounts of the batter into each bowl.
- In one bowl, add the red food coloring. In the second bowl, add the blue. (You will probably have to experiment with the amount of food coloring needed to achieve the desired shades of red and blue.)
- One you've "colored" both batters, line the cupcake pan with the cupcake liners and fill with the two cake batters (make the colors solid - do not mix them together) and bake as per package directions. As a suggestion, try to make equal numbers of red and blue cupcakes.
- Once cupcakes are done and have cooled, remove them from the pan and then remove the cupcake liners. Slice each cupcake in half so you have a top and a bottom. Do this for all the cupcakes.
- Place one of the cupcake bottoms in a jar, cover with some frosting and then add the top of the cupcake. (You can make cupcakes all red and all blue or alternate a red bottom with a blue top, etc.) Top it off with more frosting and add red, white and blue sprinkles. Repeat for all the cupcakes.